[rkward-devel] Fwd: rkward import module for Stata

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Tue Sep 29 21:53:47 UTC 2009

hi michael,

am Dienstag, 29. September 2009 (20:45) schrieb Michael Ash:
> Is there an easy way to make rkward so that I can keep the stable
> version but also have the trunk version fully installed.

i think the easiest way would be to install the trunk version to /usr/local,
as should be the default, so you could keep the stable release in /usr.
launching /usr/bin/rkward or /usr/local/bin/rkward should then do the trick.

to make shure you don't overwrite parts of the other installation, i'd
recommend to install the trunk version via your distribution packaging system.
from your using of "sudo" i'd assume you have an ubuntu system installed ;-)
you can build a .deb of the trunk version, but have to alter the file
./debian/rules to build for the installation prefix /usr/local first. in
addition, the package mustn't be called "rkward", otherwise the stable package
would just be replaced, so i guess changes to ./debian/changelog and
./debian/control are needed, too. after that, you should be able to install
that package with dpkg, which will fail if existing files (the package
management knows of...) would be overwritten. [there's info on building .debs
in the wiki and this list archive -- call for help if you have trouble finding
it. the right changes to the mentioned files could be tricky if you've never
done that before, but you seem to be eager to try things out ;-)]

alternatively, you could try building with "--prefix /home/michael/trunk" or
the like and have it installed to hour home directory. should suffice for
testing purposes. i've tested neither of those approaches, but these would be
the ways i'd try first.

both ways have in common that you don't rename the binary, but install the
whole app to a different path. i'd say that's safer and, as stated before,
actually quite easy, apart from maybe the packaging thing.

if you want to test in a realistic installation environment, depending on your
hardware i'd suggest to have a look at qemu/kvm. you could easily set up a
whole virtual trunk testing system, so you don't mess up anything by accident.
in combination with sshfs, mounting directories from the host system is a
piece of cake, if you want to share files or the like. if you would like some
more info on that, drop a note.

heinrich-heine-universit"at d"usseldorf