[rkward-devel] rkward import module for Stata

Michael Ash mash at econs.umass.edu
Sat Sep 26 15:25:12 UTC 2009

> 2) I believe Stata also has support for variable labels? If so, then it would
> be nice to convert those labels to the RKWard format as is done in the
> import_spss plugin. (Be sure to include one or two variable labels in the
> sample file).
>
> Labeled values of factors are set automatically by read.dta()
>
> Variable labels are included by read.dta() as an attribute of the
> data.frame and can be accessed with:
>
> attr (data, "var.labels")

I am attaching a new version of import_stata.php that correctly
handles variable labels  (the structure of the attribute differed
slightly between SPSS and Stata: first, the attribute is var.labels
rather than variable.labels; second, the var.labels attribute did not
have variable names as column names; so the match has to be done by
column number).  Here is the relevant stretch of code for importing
Stata variable labels.

# set variable labels for use in RKWard
labels <- attr (data, "var.labels")
if (!is.null (labels)) {
        for (i in 1:length (labels)) {
                col <- make.names (attr (data, "names")[i] )
                if (!is.null (col)) {
                        rk.set.label (data[[col]], labels[i])
                }
        }
}

Try this on

http://wps.aw.com/wps/media/objects/3254/3332253/datasets2e/datasets/Smoking.dta

and you should see the labels for the variables.

Best,
Michael