[rkward-devel] autotools for 0.4.9x?

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed May 20 08:11:08 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Wednesday 20 May 2009, Prasenjit Kapat wrote:
> I had a quick doubt: Are automake1.9 and autotools-dev needed only
> when compiling from SVN? Are they not needed from compiling from
> 0.4.9x.tar.gz source?

Yes, that should be correct. Note that the debian package build-depends on
autotools-dev for reasons of policy, but that really should not be needed for
a regular compilation from source.

It's probably the one reason that kept the autotools so popular for so long:
The general user does not have to install any specific build tools like cmake.