[rkward-devel] How to deal with binary packages?

I. Soumpasis nono.231 at gmail.com
Thu May 7 06:29:10 UTC 2009

2009/5/6 Thomas Friedrichsmeier <thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de>

> The launchpad for ubuntu idea suggested by Prasenjit sounds good to me. I
> think it probably makes sense to use distribution-specific mechanisms like
> this as well, as long as the Binaries and Build Scripts page has the
> relevant
> and up-to-date instructions to find there.

Hi

I would like to drop to your attention the R repositories for some distros
that can be found at http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/.

I consider that they target a different group of users that want the latest
of all. For example the latest ubuntu will not have R-2.9.0. However,
although these repos may provide with the latestof R, there is always a
(small) risk of breaking some things in the distro. The advantage of these
repo is that provides with binaries (at least for ubuntu) for many version
of the distribution and the latest R and the packages available. I can see
that in some older versions they had rkward bur not anymore. Maybe a contact
with the maintainers could help. Just an idea.

Regards,
Ilias