[rkward-devel] How to deal with binary packages?

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed May 6 21:40:39 UTC 2009

Hi,

thanks for your feedback in this thread. To summarize, the consensus seems to
be to continue to keep the official source release and contributed binary
packages separate.

The wiki page listing binaries should become more prominent, however. I've
tried to make some progress in that direction. Unfortunately the download
link on https://sourceforge.net/projects/rkward/ cannot be redirected, but
I'm trying to make all other links point to this page in the wiki:
http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/rkward/index.php?title=Download_RKWard
If you have further ideas on making this really easy to find, let me know.

The launchpad for ubuntu idea suggested by Prasenjit sounds good to me. I
think it probably makes sense to use distribution-specific mechanisms like
this as well, as long as the Binaries and Build Scripts page has the relevant
and up-to-date instructions to find there.

For the coming releases 0.4.9b and 0.5.0d, I'd like to pick up the suggestion
of a "call for packaging". Here it is. As mentioned in the announcement of
the -rc1 packages, I expect to release these as the official packages on
Sunday or Monday, unchanged. If you want to have binaries ready in time with
the "official" release, you can start creating your packages right now. For
0.5.0d there is a .tar.gz at http://rkward.sourceforge.net/temp/0.5.0d-rc1/ .
This is exactly the same as 0.5.0d-rc1, except the version string
is "0.5.0d", and the ChangeLog shows May-10-2009 as the release date. The
analog for KDE 3 is at http://rkward.sourceforge.net/temp/0.4.9b-rc1/ .
Please keep in mind that this *might* not become the official version after
all. Hence, please don't put such packages out in the wild before Sunday, and
be prepared to re-package, should further corrections be needed before our
official release.