[rkward-devel] RKWard Wiki

Prasenjit Kapat kapatp at gmail.com
Fri May 1 01:07:17 UTC 2009

HI,
On 4/30/09, I. Soumpasis <nono.231 at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/4/29 Thomas Friedrichsmeier <thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> The RKWard wiki has had all sorts of technical issues for a while, now.
>> Today
>> I found out, that no editing seems to be possible anymore, at all.
>>
>> I suppose this could be fixed somehow, but our wiki installation would
>> likely
>> require adminstrative attention again and again in the future. By now,
>> sourceforge also offers a site-wide Mediawiki installation. The main
>> advantage is that we will not need to worry about technical maintainance
>> at
>> all. The drawbacks are that there is no way to make the wiki blend into
>> the
>> rkward website layout as before. Also, users need to sign up with
>> sourceforge
>> in order to edit.
>>
>> Well take a look for yourself:
>> http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/rkward/index.php?title=Main_Page .
>> If
>> there are no better ideas, I'll remove the old wiki, and try to point all
>> existing links to this, in a few days.
>>

> +1 to the mediawiki solution.

+1 from my side too.. Looks very neat and more user friendly.

This raises the old issue: fragmented online documentation! So, let me
try to understand a few things here:

1. The :WIKI: tab on rkward.sf.net will eventually become defunct and
be linked to the new mediawiki site?

2. The :USER: and :DEVELOPMENT: tabs remain on rkward.sf.net?

Old issue again:
How should the documentation be segmented? What goes in mediawiki and
what in rkward.sf.net? Should the :USER: and :DEVELOPMENT: pages be
updated as-and-when-deemed-fit by accepting the "important" notes from
mediawiki?

--
Prasenjit