[rkward-devel] 2009 Season of Usability Call for Projects Open Until April 15 2009

Stefan Rödiger stefan_roediger at gmx.de
Tue Mar 31 20:46:38 UTC 2009

Am Tuesday 31 March 2009 13:03:45 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday 31 March 2009, Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> > OpenUsability Season of Usability is a series of sponsored student
> > projects to encourage students of usability, user-interface design, and
> > interaction design to get involved with Free/Libre/Open-Source Software
> > (FLOSS). During a 3 month collaboration, students work together with an
> > experienced usability mentor and key developers of the project to improve
> > the user experience of a FLOSS application. The next Season of Usability
> > student projects will start in May 2009.
> >
> > FLOSS Projects who would like to benefit from a usability student are
> > encouraged to fill in our Call for Projects:
>
> I don't think, I'd have the time to function as a technical mentor for
> RKWard, so I'm not going to register RKWard. However, if you feel up to
> that task, that would certainly be an exciting oppurtunity, and I'd try to
> help out here and there, as needed.
>
> Also, a usability review of our plugins alone, or even just a small sub-set
> of our plugins would offer ample oppurtunities for usability students, and
> RKWard alike. That is, depending on the task, a technical mentor would not
> even have to be a core/C++-coder.

Sounds really tempting but I wonder if it's wise to work on that now since you seriously consider to
change the underlying technology of the plug-in design (and therefore the GUI I assume). Later when
all is settled we have to of course.

> So, if you think you're going to have the time, skill, and motivation
> between May and August, speak up, and we'll develop some ideas on what
> tasks we could define for the Season of Usability. Just don't wait for me
> to take the first step.

Therefore for me not this year. Next year maybe.

> Regards
> Thomas

Regards
Stefan