[rkward-devel] RKWard 0.5.0c-test5

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Mon Mar 30 21:06:05 UTC 2009

hi thomas,

am Montag, 30. März 2009 (22:19) schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> in case you're working to provide ubuntu packages of the final release (I'd
> sure appreciate that):

sure, no problem.

> Couldn't you simply add that path adjustment in the rules?

i thought about that, and now with the extra diff approach it shouldn't be
much of a problem. this could have been a solution for the other PATH issues
as well, i think.

> Also, is Finn right, and the RKWard binary gets installed to a location not
> in the default search path?

yes, he's right -- and that goes for all kde 4 apps, none of which are in the
default search path in ubuntu 8.04. that is because e.g. /usr/bin/konqueror
is the kde 3.5 binary, and /usr/lib/kde4/bin/konqueror is the kde 4.1 one.
they probably started this because kde 4 was to be installed parallel mainly
for testing purposes. and since there is still a kde 3.5 rkward, i think we
should keep up to this scheme, even though it seems odd.

so, this not-in-path-installation is actually intended. it just leads to the
need to patch the .desktop file, specifying the full path to rkward. the same
goes for console. this way, one could have both rkwards at once -- but then i
think we should rename the hardy package to rkward-kde4, shouldn't we? the
konqeror package is called konqueror-kde4, to make that work, for instance.

> Else, should the rkward (and rkward.bin) perhaps be linked into /usr/bin/?

i dont know how that would comply with the way the ubuntu developers would
like kde 4 apps to be included. with my patch the menu entry should work, if
that could be confirmed somehow ;-)

heinrich-heine-universit"at d"usseldorf