[rkward-devel] RKWard 0.5.0c testing, ubuntu intrepid

dns_hmpf at web.de dns_hmpf at web.de
Sat Mar 28 01:53:57 UTC 2009

On Freitag 27 März 2009 10:33:48 pm Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for your report(s).
>
> Most of the symptoms you detail likely have a common cause: Some parts of
> RKWard get installed to a wrong location, and then they can't be found at
> runtime. The problem here is, that the correct paths differ across systems.
> Since don't have a Ubuntu installation myself, I have a hard time, figuring
> out the correct approach.

Thought so, I'll try to find the time this weekend to read up on package
building. I need a 64bit package for the workstation anyway. :)

> I created a new test release and corresponding .deb a minute ago. It is to
> be expected that the .deb still does not work for you, though, since it was
> built for Debian unstable.
Actually the new package was a step in the right direction. Now the plugins
can be configured through 'Settings -> Configure RKWard -> Plug-Ins'. A 'sudo
updatedb' followed by 'locate all.pluginmap' gives
'/usr/share/kde4/apps/rkward/all.pluginmap', adding it there makes rkward work
fine. Also the issues around the missing editor/script files are gone. But of
course it would be nicer without the configuration issues, so let's see...

> Could you please try the following steps, and write back on the results:
>
> In your /etc/apt/sources.list add this line:
> 	deb-src http://rkward.sourceforge.net/debian ./
> Now go to a temporary directory and enter:
> 	apt-get source rkward
> This should pull you the 0.5.0c-test3 sources and build scripts. Then:
> 	sudo apt-get build-dep rkward
> This will install everything needed to compile.
If it would not fail (no, I did not forget apt-get update :)
E: Bau-Abhängigkeiten für rkward konnten nicht erfüllt werden.
Finally enabling the deb-src entries (ok) and the backports (argh) solved
this. Backports were not necessary for the deb, you provided. I noticed that
cmake was updated, so that was probably the cause.

> Two additional ones:
> 	sudo apt-get install dpkg-dev
> 	sudo apt-get install fakeroot
> These are needed to create debian packages. Now inside your temporary
> directory:
> 	cd rkward-0.5.0c-test3
> 	dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
> Now your temporary directory (cd ..) should contain a .deb built for your
> system. Install that and test.
>
> I know it's a number of steps, but this would really help a lot.

Apart from the hassle with the backports for build-dep,  it all went well.
During rkward start there are some messages about various window_show_
functions or whatever, but it seems to work fine. Do you want me to send the
deb or any other file generated during the process to you?

> If the problem about missing plugins remains, could you finally go to
> ~/.kde4/share/config/ and remove/rename the "rkwardrc" file? Does this
> help?

Since Intrepid it is found in  '~/.kde/share/config/', KDE3 was dropped for
releases following 8.04 from Ubuntu.

> Regards
> Thomas

And thanks to your step-by-step instructions, I could also build the 64bit
package for my workhorse (intrepid 8.10, kde 4.2.1, R 2.8.1-1intrepid0 from
Cran) . Works fine also.

Cheers Dirk