[rkward-devel] Status update

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Jun 29 20:22:20 UTC 2009

Hi all!

I think the sources are in pretty good shape, with most of what's left to do
before the release being some bookkeeping, and documenting. So I'd like to
start the timer for the 0.5.1-release.

This time I've put up a timeline at
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/rkward/index.php?title=Release_Schedule
. As you can see, I've alotted a pretty long period for testing, mostly
because I will be away from E-Mail for much of that time.

I will write the usual call for testing, once I've rolled up the -pre3.tar.gz.
The reason I'm writing to rkward-devel, know, is that I'd like to ask you to
have a look at
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/rkward/index.php?title=Automated_Plugin_Testing
. This is getting fairly important, as the next thing to address after 0.5.1
will be the plugin scripting language, as previously discussed on this list.
For one thing, we should finally get started with the switch so we can move
forward with writing plugins. The other thing is that the performance of the
PHP-backend in it's current form is pretty much a show-stopper for RKWard on
Windows (I have tried a good number of things, and simply didn't succeed at
making this any faster).

Anyway: Automated Plugin Testing. Whenever you can find the time, please take a
look at the documentation, and try writing one or two tests (or of course much
more, if you can find the time) for the plugins you created or that you care
about. Having a decent testing coverage of the existing plugins is very
important, before we can dare to make large-scale changes to the plugins. So
I'd really like to get started with this, quickly. Let me know, where I need
to elaborate on the documentation, or where things just don't work as they
should.