[rkward-devel] X11 device error

Prasenjit Kapat kapatp at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 03:02:33 UTC 2009

Hi Yury,

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 6:40 PM, Yury V. Bukhman <ybukhman at glbrc.wisc.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when I open a new x11 device window, I get the following error message:
>
> You have created a new X11 device window in R. Usually, RKWard tries to.....

[snip]

> My X11 windows do display R graphics, but they never have any menu bars in
> them.

Yes, this is a known problem with the released versions of rkward.
This has been fixed in the svn branch, but hasn't been released as an
updated version. May be we should do it sometime.

> This is my setup:
> RKWard 0.4.9a (Using KDE 3.5.10-1.fc8 Fedora)
> R version 2.8.0 (2008-10-20)
> [ybukhman at ybdesk code]$ uname -a
> Linux ybdesk.glbrc.wisc.edu 2.6.26.8-57.fc8 #1 SMP Thu Dec 18 18:59:49 EST
> 2008 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I have the the 0.4.9's updated  version from svn working on RHEL 5.3
with KDE 3.5.4. So I guess it should compile fine on your Fedora too.
The compile instructions are here:
http://rkward.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?title=RKWard_SVN

You will need the following packages from fedora's/cran's repository:
subversion, php4-cli (or php5-cli), r-base-dev (development libraries
and headers for R), kdelibs4-dev (development headers for kdelibs4),
automake1.9 and autotools-dev. The exact package names will be
different on fedora.

Then svn checkout and the usual route: start the configure/make/make
install. Since I do not have administrative access to this RedHat
machine, I add the following options to configure:

./configure --prefix=$HOME/.kde
--with-r-libdir=$HOME/R/i686-redhat-linux-gnu-library/2.8

You can also look into ./configure --help.

> Let me know if you need more info.

Hope this helps. If you have problems, let us know.

--
Prasenjit