[rkward-devel] rules revised

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Sun Aug 9 19:21:29 UTC 2009

hi,

am Freitag, 7. August 2009 (22:43) schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> Ok, my assumption was that the problem is in fact tied to kdelibs 4.0.x
> debian packages in general, not hardy.

at least not at this point. hardy was delivered with kde3, so kde4 is being
installed in a slightly different path, which should be true for later kde4
versions packed for hardy as well. so we need to check if we're compiling for
hardy, add that path to $PATH (otherwise kde4-config won't be found) and apply
the small patch that also just changes the path for the k-menu entry. i don't
know where debian installs kdelibs 4.0.x.

on the other hand, i think your approach could still be useful for problems
that are actually kde 4.0.x related. if it's not too big changes to work
around kde 4.0 bugs, you could put them in a patch of their own (and leave the
sources written for later versions of kdelibs). of course this would mean the
patches are only applied when a debian package is build, a cmake build would
fail, though. therefore it might be good as it is, to deal with library bugs
in the code directly but with distribution specific issues in the packaging
process?

> > what about this: we add lsb-release to the build-deps for the time being,
> > and drop it again in april 2010, together with hardy support? [that is,
> > if no one uses the tool to discover other distribution details until
> > then.]
>
> Well, let's put this in for now (please increase the version number to
> 0.5.1-2 on the .deb, when you do so).

i don't plan to re-package because of that, because only the package building
itself is concerned. but it will help for the next packages to be build.

> We'll have to wait and see what happens with regard to inclusion in the
> official debian/ubuntu archives, though.

if they don't like the "one diff for all" idea we could strip the added ubuntu
parts again and create an ubuntu diff. it would still help building it for
different ubuntu incarnations, but miss the opportunity to maintain only one
unified build mechanism.

> I need to convince a debian developer of the quality of the packaging each
> time. So that's why I'm trying this hard to find an aesthetically pleasing
> solution.

yes, sounds desireable :-)

heinrich-heine-universit"at d"usseldorf