[rkward-devel] rules revised

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Aug 7 20:43:01 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Friday 07 August 2009, meik michalke wrote:
> i've just compiled all ubuntu packages. apart from the fact that the
> current implementation is not quite doing the job (hardy wasn't
> recognised),

hrmpf, that's bad, of course.

> i'm not so happy with that way, even if it worked. first, it
> adresses some other issue: for the make rules, it's not the kde version
> that's the problem, but different paths for kde4 hardy is using. second, i
> could imagine that there's other debian based distributions with older libs
> that would be mistaken for hardy (resulting silently in a path messup,
> probably hard to debug, if someone installs a selfmade package). and last,
> what if someone actually installs newer kde4 libs in hardy? the path issue
> would still need fixing, but the rules file would skip the patch.

Ok, my assumption was that the problem is in fact tied to kdelibs 4.0.x debian
packages in general, not hardy. If you have good reason to believe it's the
other way around, then I won't insist on my guess.

> what about this: we add lsb-release to the build-deps for the time being,
> and drop it again in april 2010, together with hardy support? [that is, if
> no one uses the tool to discover other distribution details until then.]

Well, let's put this in for now (please increase the version number to 0.5.1-2
on the .deb, when you do so). We'll have to wait and see what happens with
regard to inclusion in the official debian/ubuntu archives, though. While I'm
maintaining the package in debian, I don't have permission to upload, myself,
and I need to convince a debian developer of the quality of the packaging each
time. So that's why I'm trying this hard to find an aesthetically pleasing
solution.

> > As you might have seen, I gave Julien a note on our discussion, though,
> > let's see, if he can convince us otherwise.
>
> there was no reply yet, was there?

No, there wasn't.