[rkward-devel] How to deal with binary packages?

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Thu Apr 30 23:19:49 UTC 2009

hi thomas,

am Donnerstag, 30. April 2009 (23:40) schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> I have the hint of a bad feeling about distributing contributed binaries.

i can fully understand that. if a packager makes a mistake, it will probably
not fall back to him/her, but the project.

> It seems to me that somewhere I should draw a line between more "official"
> packages that I feel comfortable distributing, and supporting, and "other"
> packages that I don't really know too much about. In want of a better
> criterion, so far that meant, I uploaded the packages that I created
> myself, but no others.

i too think there should be a distinct line between official and contributed
packages. they could just reside in an special folder with a README pointing
out that this is contributed material and if something fails it's probably not
rkward's fault. users could be advised to contact the contributers first if
they run into problems.

by the way, i put up my packages into my own repo because i thought that this
makes it obvious they are not officially distributed, but at the same time as
easy as possible to use for anyone who'd like to try. and i'm willing to deal
with problems someone has with these packages, if it's a packaging issue.

> 2) Have most packages hosted somewhere else, and simply keep a list of
> links to those packages. Somewhat similar to
> http://rkward.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?title=Binaries_and_Build_Scrip
>ts (or
> http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/rkward/index.php?title=Binaries_and_B
>uild_Scripts in the new wiki). However, we'd probably re-organize this page
> a bit, and try to make it more prominent (by advertising it as the primary
> download page).

that would be my favorite for now. there could also be something like an
OTHER_BINARIES file or so in the sourceforge download directory, pointig to
that source of information.

heinrich-heine-universit"at d"usseldorf