[rkward-devel] How to deal with binary packages?

Germán Márquez Mejía manchito at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 23:16:13 UTC 2009

Hi

El 30/04/09 16:40, Thomas Friedrichsmeier escribió:
> 1) Upload all contributed packages to the sourceforge download page. In case
> this is your favorite, there's a catch, though: I'd like to delegate most of
> the work to another person. Making file-releases is a cumbersome process,
> already, and I don't want it to take up yet more of my time. Volunteers?
>
> 1b) Upload to a regular directory on an HTTP-server (like
> http://rkward.sf.net/temp/). Possibly slightly easier to handle, but still
> I'd like to delegate that task.
>
> 2) Have most packages hosted somewhere else, and simply keep a list of links
> to those packages. Somewhat similar to
> http://rkward.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?title=Binaries_and_Build_Scripts
> (or
> http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/rkward/index.php?title=Binaries_and_Build_Scripts
> in the new wiki). However, we'd probably re-organize this page a bit, and try
> to make it more prominent (by advertising it as the primary download page).
>
> 3) Something else?
>
> What do you - and especially the packagers - think?

I'm inclined towards no. 2 with help of 1b for those who don't
have/trust a third-party host/repository. I think that the "Binaries and
Build Scripts" page has been a little bit "hidden" from the users, but
has a lot of potencial. Perhaps every packager can put things in order
within "his/her" section. Then we can explicitly assign an official
package maintainer for each distro and announce it in the wiki - so we
can distribute tasks. This way all other contributors must address to
him/her before submitting any packages.

For example, in Slackware-based distros, the decision would lay between
slackpackages or slackbuilds, but that's another discussion.

And that's my humble opinion :-b

--
Mancho