[rkward-devel] Rkward crashes on Fedora

Pierre-Yves pingou at pingoured.fr
Mon Apr 20 10:57:00 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-17 at 23:15 +0200, Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:
> Hi Pierre,
>
> On Wednesday 15 April 2009, Pierre-Yves wrote:
> > Do you have by any change an idea to solve it ?
>
> I have no good idea on why this is happening. Perhaps one of these pointers
> will provide a useful cue to work with:
>
> 1. The symbol "_ZNK7QString11lastIndexOfER7QRegExpi" should be in Qt. More
> precisely in libQtCore.so . You can run something like
> 	strings /usr/lib/libQtCore.so | grep "lastIndexOf"
> to verify it really exists (with that precise name).
>
> Interestingly, here (on Debian), the symbol is
> called "_ZNK7QString11lastIndexOfERK7QRegExpi". That's real close, but note
> the missing "K".

@pingouLab ~]$ strings /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so | grep "lastIndexOf"
_ZNK10QByteArray11lastIndexOfEci
_ZNK10QByteArray11lastIndexOfERKS_i
_ZNK7QString11lastIndexOfE5QChariN2Qt15CaseSensitivityE
_ZNK7QString11lastIndexOfERK7QRegExpi
_ZNK7QString11lastIndexOfERKS_iN2Qt15CaseSensitivityE
_ZN9QtPrivate23QStringList_lastIndexOfEPK11QStringListRK7QRegExpi

On the computer where rkward crashes (after installing qt-devel)
@pingouRed ~]$ strings /usr/lib/libQtCore.so | grep "lastIndexOf"
_ZNK10QByteArray11lastIndexOfEci
_ZNK10QByteArray11lastIndexOfERKS_i
_ZNK7QString11lastIndexOfE5QChariN2Qt15CaseSensitivityE
_ZNK7QString11lastIndexOfERK7QRegExpi
_ZNK7QString11lastIndexOfERKS_iN2Qt15CaseSensitivityE
_ZN9QtPrivate23QStringList_lastIndexOfEPK11QStringListRK7QRegExpi

> 1b. Running
> 	strings /path/to/rkward.bin | grep "lastIndexOf"
> should contain that precise string as well.

I have some weird results here:
@pingouRed ~]$ strings /usr/bin/rkward.bin | grep "lastIndexOf"
----- From the computer on which rkward crashes
@pingouLab ~]$ strings /usr/bin/rkward.bin | grep "lastIndexOf"
----- From the computer on which rkward does *not* crash

> 2. If you manage to have one version of rkward with that crash and one
> without, running
> 	ldd /path/to/rkward.bin
> on both binaries could possibly show a relevant difference.

Where it crashes:
http://fpaste.org/paste/9599
Where is does not crash:
http://fpaste.org/paste/9600

> 3. Assuming something is going wrong inside rkward code, perhaps trashing some
> memory locations in a strange way, it would be helpful to have the precise
> context. Try running
> 	rkward --debug-level 5
> produce the crash and post the last ~20 lines just before the "undefined
> symbol" message. Please do this several times to make sure the context stays
> the same. If it does not, post several versions.
First trial:
http://fpaste.org/paste/9596
Second:
http://fpaste.org/paste/9597
Third:
http://fpaste.org/paste/9598

I am wondering if I don't miss the requirement on qt-devel when I build
the package, I will do some test in this direction.

Thanks for your help,
Best regards,
Pierre