[rkward-devel] Jarque-Bera test plugin

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sun Sep 30 17:25:09 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Saturday 29 September 2007, Germán Márquez Mejía wrote:
> As I've been kind of free this week I decided to take the challenge and
> try with a simple plugin for a frequently used test (at least in my case).

great!

> Clearly this is NOT FOR 0.4.8. Of course, any suggestion, modification
> or even rejection is welcome. I'm not an expert and there are several
> things I ignore about making good plugins and so, but the initiative is
> here.

A very nice first try. A couple of points below (don't let it scare you, all
of this is minor stuff):
1) We have a policy of adding new plugins to under_development.pluginmap,
first, to make sure we don't accidentally release them without decent
testing. Also, we add them to this page:
http://rkward.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?title=Development_Status_of_Plugins
to keep track of the development status.
2) The plugin indeed has only one option so far, so on a certain level it
makes sense not to use a tabbook with two tabs for that. However, it's also a
good idea to design similar plugins to look similar. The other distribution
tests use two tabs, so I suggest, this one should as well. Also the "Show
Length" option should probably be "Show Length and NAs" for the same reason
(see below).
3) The issue about NAs not handled by the test is one we could easily solve
for the user. Just offer an additional option "Exclude NAs". This option
would do something like (after counting the length and NAs):
	var <- var[!is.na(var)]
4) The "parameters" argument for rk.header() is meant for user selected
parameters, not results (arguably, the degrees of freedom is sort of a
parameter, but you get the point). So, the df should rather be included in
the results, not in the header. The "Exclude NAs" option would be a good
candidate for inclusion in the header.

I've taken care of 1), and added your work to the SVN repository (by the way,
I also added your translation, thanks!) for after 0.4.8. Perhaps you would
like to take on the others yourself to get some more practice.

Thanks!