[rkward-devel] Commands from script editor and console history

Stefan Rödiger stefan_roediger at gmx.de
Thu Sep 20 19:39:15 UTC 2007

Am Donnerstag, 20. September 2007 21:17:20 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> Hi,
>
> could you take a look at this thread in the forum:
> https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=4515229 ?
>
> The issue, here, is how to deal with commands that are run (through the
> console) from the script editor window. Should those be added to the
> console history, or should only commands entered directly in the console be
> added to the history?
>
> If think for single lines (such as Run->Run current line), the answer is
> probably, that, yes, those should be added to the history. I'm not quite
> sure about longer sequences, spanning multiple lines, however. For those I
> often found it rather convenient that they do not clutter the console
> history. At the same time, making a distinction between these two cases
> (single line / multi line) would probably be *really* confusing.
>
> Any ideas / opinions on what the behavior should be?
>
> Regards
> Thomas

I consent in terms of single line. Here a yes. But I don't like the idea that
multiple lines are added. I case of need for a command it's easy to go to the
script editor window and to run it again. Therefore I did rather say no for
multiple lines. By why not make it an option (hey after all it's still a KDE
tool, thus don't break the KDE-law of "One can never have to many
Options" ;) ).

This is a good point to start another idea. What about providing some script
templates. This might be very useful for educational purposes (with
comments ...) (though I doubt that many people use RKWard in such area), for
some routine tasks, to give user an idea what they can do with R, or to show
some interesting scripts R/RKWard user created during their daily work.
A workflow might be:

1) push script editor window button
2) a dialogue pops up and asks if a script from the templates should be loaded
or an empty window (or an option to never ask again)
3) user can start their work
4) if done it asks for saving the script

I know this is not really useful, something I could not code and by far not
urgent but "neat" (actually that's the only reason I came come with to
suggest it).

Regards

Stefan