[rkward-devel] Status update

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Sep 14 15:01:11 UTC 2007

Hi all,

a quick status update, while I'm trying to catch up with all the mail in my
inbox:

1 - RKWard 0.4.7a is incompatible with the upcoming R 2.6.0. R 2.6.0 alpha is
already in debian unstable, and causing rkward to break, there. I've prepared
a fixed debian package, and hope it will be uploaded to debian, soon.
For the rest of the world, R 2.6.0 is scheduled to be released on October 3. I
suggest we should try to release RKWard 0.4.8 in roughly the same timeframe,
giving us about two and a half weeks to get everything to a presentable
state.

2 - I'll need a bit of help to get back up to speed. I'd like to ask you to
2a - If you are aware of any pending issues that I should have a look at soon,
please give me a note. If I have not responded, yet, most likely I simply did
not see them, or forgot about them.
2b - Please list any new or changed plugins that you have been working on in
the wiki
(http://rkward.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?title=Development_Status_of_Plugins).
I'll try to have a look at all of those as soon as I can.
2c - If you're following the SVN version, please start to do some testing. I
don't think there will be any more large scale changes before the release, so
it's time to start hunting down the bugs.

3 - Spam has reached fairly annoying levels, both on the mailing list, and in
the wiki (yesterday I spent more than an hour to clean up the wiki). If you
have suggestions on how to deal with this, that would be nice. Right now, I'm
playing with two ideas:
3a - For the wiki: Do not allow to create new users any more. New users will
have to be created manually by a trusted user. Of course this defies some
important advantages of having a wiki in the first place, but at the moment,
the effort to contain the spam is just getting out of hands. Either way, it
would also be nice, if some of you could volunteer to act as Sysops for the
wiki. That is, I'll give you some additional rights, so you can delete spam
pages and block spam accounts. Then, maybe every once in a while, you could
take a look at the "Recent Changes" page in the wiki, and clear up any
vandalism that you can find.
3b - For the mailing list: I suggest to restrict (unmoderated) posting to
subscribers. I'd also like to make a number of you moderators in this case,
so legitimate posts by non-subscribers can be admitted to the list in due
time.
Of course, all kinds of different suggestions are welcome.