[rkward-devel] KDE 4 status update

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Oct 31 16:22:30 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Tuesday 30 October 2007, I. Soumpasis wrote:
> Is it possible to change the kate configuration in rkward?

it might be possible using some evil hacks. The downside is that we'd add
confusion for users expecting those shortcuts to work as in kate.

> Does F6 and F7
> are occupied? My opinion is that these 3 buttons should have 3 Fkeys in a
> row. Eg one line F6, selection F7, script F8. Something like this.

F6 is occupied (show/hide icon border), F7 is occupied in standard kate
(switch to command line), but that is not active in the katepart. F8 is free
so far, but it looks like the kate devels have decided they can use all the
F-keys, so I guess we should not bet on F8 remaining free. Ctrl+Fx are by
default used for switching desktops, though most people will not have more
than four. Alt+F6-10 seem to be free, but generally the Alt+Fx are used for
global window actions (such as Alt+F4 to close a window).

F3-5 seem to be free at the moment, but once again, not sure whether this will
stay that way. And since we use F2 for function help, already, we might want
to keep F3 reserved for some other help actions we might want to have in the
future (perhaps manual invocation of argument hinting, or something like
that).

So all in all everything seems to be fairly crowded. Suggestions, anyone?

> Probably did not use the right word. I think blinking is better. The window
> pops up every few milliseconds. So when I hit a key it actually seems to be
> used grabbed by the pop window. the second key I hit is witing in the
> script. Anyway. I will make this change and see what happens.

Hm, even if I set the timeout to 0, here, the popup window becomes fairly
annoying, but does not eat any key-presses. Perhaps it's an issue in kdelibs?
Can you reproduce this, Prasenjit?

Also, what do you mean by "the window pops up every few milliseconds"? Does it
disappear in between? Here, the popup does show some flickering as the list
of completions changes, but it only disappears when there are no more
completions (or you press Esc).