[rkward-devel] KDE4 porting status

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sun Oct 21 21:10:41 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Sunday 21 October 2007, Prasenjit Kapat wrote:
> I am trying to get kde4 working. I have a few questions:
> 1. Do you use a separate user (as mentioned in the techbase
> instructions) for compiling KDE4?
> http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4#Create_a_user_account_fo
>r_KDE4_development

yes, in fact I use a separate user. I guess this is highly recommended, as it
seems to be the only good way to keep a "clean" KDE3 environment installed in
parallel.

> 2. Which QT are you using? Is it from Debian's repo or the "qt-copy"
> (again as mentioned in the techbase instructions) from KDE svn?
> http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4#Qt

I use the one from debian, and this seems to work fine. I had to make sure the
correct version of "moc" (/usr/bin/moc-qt4) was the first to be picked up in
the path (I placed it ~/kde/bin/ for the kde4 user).

> 3. Are you compiling cmake or using the binary version from Debian's repo?

I use the one from the debian repository (2.4-patch 7).

> CMake Error: Error in cmake code at
> /home/kde4-devel/rkward_kde4/rkward/dataeditor/CMakeLists.txt:20:
> Unknown CMake command "QT4_AUTOMOC".
>
> I am not sure why cmake (2.4.7) is not able to find this macro,
> though, /usr/share/cmake-2.4/Modules/FindQT4.cmake does have the
> QT4_AUTOMOC macro in it. Did you face anything like this?

No. Are you sure you have the right path for "/path/to/rkward/sources"? This
should point to the directory containing a CMakeLists.txt starting
with "PROJECT (rkward)". That's my only idea on this ATM.