[rkward-devel] KDE4 porting status

Prasenjit Kapat kapatp at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 19:06:32 UTC 2007

Hi,

I am trying to get kde4 working. I have a few questions:
1. Do you use a separate user (as mentioned in the techbase
instructions) for compiling KDE4?
http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4#Create_a_user_account_for_KDE4_development

2. Which QT are you using? Is it from Debian's repo or the "qt-copy"
(again as mentioned in the techbase instructions) from KDE svn?
http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4#Qt

3. Are you compiling cmake or using the binary version from Debian's repo?

On 10/17/07, Thomas Friedrichsmeier
<thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:

[snip]

> To do so, first, follow these instructions to set up a KDE4 development
> environment (up to "Running KDE 4 programs"):
> http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4

Ok I didnot follow these instructions :( There is a package
"kdebase-workspace-dev" in kubuntu repo which seems to fetch and
install "most" of the dependency packages listed in the kde techbase
instructions:  http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4#Kubuntu_and_Debian
I did that and made path adjustments as mentioned here:
http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde4-beta3.php

> Now check out the KDE4 branch of rkward:
> # svn co https://rkward.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/rkward/branches/KDE4_port/
>   rkward_kde4
>
> Create a directory "build" somewhere (e.g. inside the checked out directory),
> cd there, and do
> #
> cmake /path/to/rkward/sources -DCMAKE-BUILD-TYPE=debugfull -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$KDEDIR
> (This step is only needed once).

This particluar step gives the following error: which I think is a cmake issue..

CMake Error: Error in cmake code at
/home/kde4-devel/rkward_kde4/rkward/dataeditor/CMakeLists.txt:20:
Unknown CMake command "QT4_AUTOMOC".

I am not sure why cmake (2.4.7) is not able to find this macro,
though, /usr/share/cmake-2.4/Modules/FindQT4.cmake does have the
QT4_AUTOMOC macro in it. Did you face anything like this?

I am planning to go thru the churning of compiling kde4, but what
bothers me is the cmake issue which is kind of independent of the kde4
compilation!

Thanks
PK