[rkward-devel] Problem with big objects

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sun Oct 7 13:08:36 UTC 2007

Hi Ilias,

On Saturday 06 October 2007, I. Soumpasis wrote:
> This time of my working life I am trying to do some models that they use
> odesolve together with simulation. The result of my work is to create big
> tables (like 213 x 1000 (or more)). When I try to do this with rkward it
> takes ages to be done. I suspect this is because of the rkward workspace
> browser trying to translate the object. Is there a posibility to make a
> choice in order to activate/deactiate this browser (if this is the
> problem). What I am trying to do is to write my script in the editor and
> run it. No need for the browser to show me anything. Using plain R, Rcmdr
> and JGR the scripts are done in a few minutes, but in rkward I cannot wait
> so much time to see it ending.

generally, the workspace browser does not cause much slowdown unless dealing
with objects that contain many "child" objects. That said, there may well be
issues when dealing with large tables. First, in order to make sure the
workspace browser really is the issue, please try running your code inside
local(). E.g.:
	local({
		x <- whatever()
	})
If this is considerably faster than
	x <- whatever()
then in fact, the workspace browser is to blame. Otherwise, we'll need to look
elsewhere.

Regardless of the outcome, could you produce an example that shows this
problem?