[rkward-devel] KDElibs 4c2a dependency prolem installing RKward 0.4.8

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Fri Oct 5 10:17:24 UTC 2007

hello prasenjit,

am Donnerstag, 4. Oktober 2007 (23:29) schrieb Prasenjit Kapat:
> Thanks to Meik for the detailed and proper way of doing things. It is
> helpful for me too.

oh, you're wellcome -- i'm glad i could help.

> > [just a hint: apt-get is absolutely ok, but i'd advise to use aptitude
> > instead, because it logs which packages were installed only as a
> > dependency.]
>
> i guess it is just a personal preference. blame me, i could never get
> the hang of aptitude :(

how come? all it takes is to invoke "aptitude install <package>", "aptitude
remove <package>" etc. instead of the apt-get equivalents. works with search
<pattern>, show <package>, update, upgrade and especially dist-upgrade as
well. as far as i'm aware of it is even recommended over apt-get by the
debian developers for dist-upgrade, since it has a much more sophisticated
approach of handling dependencies and conflicts. well, ymmv ;-)

> thanks. since i use svn version, i never bothered to build a deb
> package. i just remember to do a "make uninstall" before any fresh
> install.

you should have a look at "checkinstall" (it's in the repositories). it's very
handy for sources without a proper debian-diff. you simply replace the
usual "make install" at the end with "checkinstall", it then runs the
installation process in a temporal environement, keeps track of all actions
and prepares a .deb, .rpm or slackware tarball. it won't create pre- and
post-install scrips and the like, nor will it take care of package
dependencies, but at least dpkg will howl when your attempting to overwrite
files from another package, and it's a covenient way for a clean uninstall.

> btw, does anyone know how to create a rpm package
> analogously? Then I can provide one for RHEL4-i686! I use it at school
> -- I can compile and then install in $HOME/.kde -- and it works!

checkinstall can build rpms as well. but i'd guess they're not fully equipped
either. to some extend they may be of more help that no rpm at all, but when
dependencies aren't resolved, this might lead to unexpected problems as
well...

viele gruesse :: m.eik

heinrich-heine-universit"at d"usseldorf