[rkward-devel] KDElibs 4c2a dependency prolem installing RKward 0.4.8

Prasenjit Kapat kapatp at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 21:29:57 UTC 2007

Hi all,

Thanks to Meik for the detailed and proper way of doing things. It is
helpful for me too.

On 10/4/07, meik michalke <meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote:
> hello matthieu,
>
> you filed a similar bug in july, didn't you? as prasenjit, i wonder if you
> are
> subscribed to the rkward-devel-list, because we've tried to solve your
> problem back then?
>
> however, here we go again ;-)
>
> am Donnerstag, 4. Oktober 2007 (17:42) schrieb Prasenjit Kapat:
> > I guess it is not advisable to mix Debian/Sid with Ubuntu packages.
>
> i totally agree. just don't do it...
>
> > It is not difficult to compile rkward. Get the .tar.gz package from the
> > same place and get the following packages from ubuntu repo (using
> > apt-get install)
> >
> > $ apt-get install php4-cli r-base-dev kdelibs4-dev automake1.9
> > autotools-dev

actually, php5-cli is also good.

> [just a hint: apt-get is absolutely ok, but i'd advise to use aptitude
> instead, because it logs which packages were installed only as a
> dependency.]

i guess it is just a personal preference. blame me, i could never get
the hang of aptitude :(

> > Having done that, just follow the usual procedure... (cd into the
> > rkward-0.4.8 dir first)
>
> here i'd advise against the ordinary configute/make/install, because your
> package system won't know about that, and if there's a bug, say, in the
> install part, you might accidently overwrite files from an installed package
> without warning. but even without any bugs it's always a good idea to let
> the
> package system know what's installed, which version of it, and where its
> files reside.
>
> but it's really simple to build your own .deb package from the rkward
> sources,
> which should resolve your dependency problems. all you need can be installed
> directly from the ubuntu-repositories or downloaded from the rkward page.
> i'll just repeat what i've written in july, with more comments... -- just
> follow these steps:
>
>  sudo aptitude install dpkg-dev fakeroot
>
>    # download rkward-0.4.8.tar.gz and rkward_0.4.8-1.diff.gz from the
>    # rkward homepage. unpack it:
>  tar xzvf /path/to/rkward-0.4.8.tar.gz
>
>    # change into the new directory:
>  cd rkward-0.4.8/
>
>    # now, apply the patch file. this will create the "debian" folder and its
>    # content, that is needed by dpkg-buildpackage:
>  zcat /path/to/rkward_0.4.8-1.diff.gz | patch -p1
>  chmod a+x debian/rules
>
>    # the next command will compile rkward, and build a .deb package out of
> the
>    # results afterwards, if all went well.
>    # the "-D" option tells you if you have to install more packages first;
>    # just fetch them with "sudo aptitude install ..." and repeat this step:
>  fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage -b -D
>    # errors that the digital signature failed can be ignored, because you
>    # don't have thomas' gnupg-key, i assume...
>
>    # change into the higher directory:
>  cd ..
>    # you should now have your own .deb-package in this folder. install it:
>  sudo dpkg -i ./rkward_0.4.8-1_i386.deb

thanks. since i use svn version, i never bothered to build a deb
package. i just remember to do a "make uninstall" before any fresh
install. btw, does anyone know how to create a rpm package
analogously? Then I can provide one for RHEL4-i686! I use it at school
-- I can compile and then install in $HOME/.kde -- and it works!

Regards
PK