[rkward-devel] workspace browser does not list variables in amd64 arch

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Oct 1 10:51:53 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Monday 01 October 2007, Prasenjit Kapat wrote:
> I really hate to bring this up, when we are so close to releasing
> 0.4.8, but unfortunately, I was too involved with school...  I think
> we can go ahead with releasing 0.4.8 since most users are on 32 bit
> machiens (i guess).

ok, well, if we can't fix it in time, we'll release with the bug. But let's
give it a try.

Unfortunately, I do not have access to a 64bit system, so I'll need your help
with this. Anybody else have a 64bit system at hand? If so, please join in!

> > 2) Do you get commandline completion (console/script editor) for objects
> > in globalenv()?
>
> No.

Ok, so this happens at a rather basic level. Probably the workspace browser
itself is not to blame, rather it looks like fetching information about the
objects in the workspace fails.

> > 3) You mention, it's been there for a long time. Any idea, when precisely
> > it first turned up?
>
> I guess it has always been there in the 64 bit arch installations. I
> moved to a native 64 bit machine around July, and this issue has been
> there since then. I did not (and still do not) see it in 32 bit
> machines.

Ok, but I take it you used the SVN version? Could you perhaps try with 0.4.7
and/or 0.4.6, and see whether those give the same result? Otherwise, this
would narrow it down quite a bit. Also, could you try turning off all
optimization (./configure with --enable-debug=full should do the trick), just
to make sure?

Some more questions:
Does the data editor work all right? Does it work at all?

> Some more details:
> The occurence is not predictable. I will try to explain what I mean:
> (with attachments)

Hm, those unpredictable ones are the worst. Probably somewhere we're somehow
relying on a variable, internally, which is 64bit long on a 64bit system with
only the lower 32 bits zeroes out, and the rest random. Unfortunately, I have
no idea, *where* this happens.

Let's try the usual procedure: Please run with
# rkward --debug-level 5 --debug-flags 132
and post the output somewhere (despite limiting the output
using --debug-flags, this will create a *lot* of output).

If you have the time, please install valgrind, and run rkward through it
(i.e. "valgrind /path/to/rkward"), also posting the tons of output somewhere
(if you have the choice to put it online somewhere, that would be great, else
send it to the list in zipped form).