[rkward-devel] workspace browser does not list variables in amd64 arch

Prasenjit Kapat kapatp at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 06:54:20 UTC 2007

Hi,

I really hate to bring this up, when we are so close to releasing
0.4.8, but unfortunately, I was too involved with school...  I think
we can go ahead with releasing 0.4.8 since most users are on 32 bit
machiens (i guess).

On 9/16/07, Thomas Friedrichsmeier
<thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
> On Friday 14 September 2007, Prasenjit Kapat wrote:
> > One problem on my 64-bit home machine (Debian/Sid/amd64) which has
> > been there for a long time: the workspace browser does not list the
> > variables in .GlobalEnv(). I will take this up in a different thread,
> > so more information there.. I'll do so when I get back home tonight.
>
> Three questions already, trying to narrow this down:
> 1) This is variables in globalenv(), only? I.e. the other (package)
> environment show up correctly (if "Show all environments" is checked)?

No, every environment is affected.

> 2) Do you get commandline completion (console/script editor) for objects in
> globalenv()?

No.

> 3) You mention, it's been there for a long time. Any idea, when precisely it
> first turned up?

I guess it has always been there in the 64 bit arch installations. I
moved to a native 64 bit machine around July, and this issue has been
there since then. I did not (and still do not) see it in 32 bit
machines.

Some more details:
The occurence is not predictable. I will try to explain what I mean:
(with attachments)

1. Sometimes, none of the variables in any environment (.GlobalEnv and
other packages) are visible. Clicking (even repeatedly) the "Update"
button does nothing. No commandline completion (console/script editor)
either. [new session: snapshot1.png: nothing visible]

2. Sometimes variables in .GlobalEnv() and "some" package envs are
shown, but the icon for their class (or types) are wrong. For example
a numerical variable may have an icon of a list or of a function.
Clicking (repeatedly) the "Update" button (in workspace browser)
changes the icon of the variable to some other icon (randomly?). But
since the variables are visible, commandline completion works (console
& script editor). [new session: snapshot2,3,4,5,6.png] All these
images are from the same session of rkward.

3. Sometime the clicking the "Update" button makes the variables
invisible too. And when this happens there is no completion. Then
clicking it back a few times makes them visible again and completion
works on the same variable works now. [new session: snapshot7.png: no
completion]

Some initial warnings when rkward starts: (after loading the R engine)

Assert failed at renvironmentobject.cpp - function updateStructure line 114
Assert failed at renvironmentobject.cpp - function updateStructure line 117
Assert failed at rcontainerobject.cpp - function updateChildren line 133

Regards
PK

PS: I hope the attachments are manageable for ur inboxes