[rkward-devel] KDE 4 status update

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Nov 2 13:06:39 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Thursday 01 November 2007, you wrote:
> On 10/31/07, Thomas Friedrichsmeier
> > Hm, even if I set the timeout to 0, here, the popup window becomes fairly
> > annoying, but does not eat any key-presses. Perhaps it's an issue in
> > kdelibs? Can you reproduce this, Prasenjit?
>
> Nope! I don't get have issues with key press and code completion
> popup.

ok, for the time being, I'll assume it's a kdelibs issue. Illias, please keep
this issue in mind when the KDE4 release comes near, and test again, then.

> This is what I get: Suppose I am writing the statement:
> x <- read.csv(file=...... in  a script editor:
>
> x <- re
>
> at this point i see a pop up listing the possible completions starting
> with "re". I continue to type..
>
> x <- read.
>
> at this point i expect to see all the "read.*" completions, but none
> come up. (only when pop up time out is set < 20 millisec; this doesn't
> happen at higher timeout values...) I think the "." is somehow messing
> the search. When I type the next letter:

Yes, indeed. The katepart tries to be a little too smart, here. It thinks
symbol names may never contain a dot, and will abort the completion popup,
when it sees a dot. I wrote to the kate devels about it.

> x <- read.c
>
> I see two options, "read.csv  f(x)" and "read.csv2 f(x)", I use the
> down arrow key to select read.csv2 and hit enter. This is what i get:
>
> x <- utils::"read.csv2"
>
> Royally screwed!

Ok, this one should be fixed, now.

> BTW, I might have done some changes on the Setup
> window of the completion pop up, which I do not recall. Can't this
> Setup be combined with the global "Configure RKward" window as
> separate page?

No, unfortunately, this won't be possible. This setup page is part of the kate
part, and we can not access it directly. I hope it will be possible to strip
out some settings that are not relevant in RKWard, but it won't be possible
to merge it.