[rkward-devel] 0.4.7a crashes

Johannes Schindelin Johannes.Schindelin at gmx.de
Thu May 31 11:24:31 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Thu, 31 May 2007, Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:

> On Wednesday 30 May 2007, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> > I have just compiled R-2.5.0 with --enable-R-shlib, installed (to
> > /usr/local as per default), then compiled and installed rkward-0.4.7a with
> > default settings.
> >
> > My computer is an Intel based Laptop, running Linux 2.6.18.2-34(SUSE),
> > with 512MB RAM.
> >
> > One to three seconds after I started rkward, it freezes with a message
> > that I should not continue, because there was a problem loading the
> > library.
>
> most likely cause is that the installation of rkward is somehow broken. Could
> you try the following in a plain session of R (outside of rkward):
>
> 	library (rkward)
> 	.rk.set.reply (NULL)
> 	base::q ()
>
> Does it look like the rkward library can be found this way? If not, try
> 	sudo make install
> again, and watch out closely for any problems (the subdirectory of interest is
> rkward/rbackend/rpackages). Any helpful pointers in there?

Thank you! I installed it via checkinstall, because I like to be able to
remove the package easily. Unfortunately, it did not install that library,
_and_ did not complain that something failed.

Now off to debug checkinstall...

> > (I tried to install rkward, because I am an R illiterate as of now.
> > But I am relatively fluent in C++.)
>
> Well, if you find out you like rkward, perhaps you'll consider
> contributing some code, some day. There's a lot of areas a C++ coder
> could work on in rkward, even without much knowledge of R.

My plan was to learn R by way of playing with rkward...

Ciao & thanks again,
Dscho