[rkward-devel] 0.4.7a crashes

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu May 31 10:13:28 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Wednesday 30 May 2007, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> I have just compiled R-2.5.0 with --enable-R-shlib, installed (to
> /usr/local as per default), then compiled and installed rkward-0.4.7a with
> default settings.
>
> My computer is an Intel based Laptop, running Linux 2.6.18.2-34(SUSE),
> with 512MB RAM.
>
> One to three seconds after I started rkward, it freezes with a message
> that I should not continue, because there was a problem loading the
> library.

most likely cause is that the installation of rkward is somehow broken. Could
you try the following in a plain session of R (outside of rkward):

	library (rkward)
	.rk.set.reply (NULL)
	base::q ()

Does it look like the rkward library can be found this way? If not, try
	sudo make install
again, and watch out closely for any problems (the subdirectory of interest is
rkward/rbackend/rpackages). Any helpful pointers in there?

> (I tried to install rkward, because I am an R illiterate as of now. But I
> am relatively fluent in C++.)

Well, if you find out you like rkward, perhaps you'll consider contributing
some code, some day. There's a lot of areas a C++ coder could work on in
rkward, even without much knowledge of R.