[RkWard-devel] bugs

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Mar 29 18:16:55 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Thursday 29 March 2007 18:38, Stefan Roediger wrote:
> I did some bug hunting on ansari and ansari.exact test and on wilcoxon
> tests. While going through them I found that error handling is poor
> (obviously since there is not yet a routine in them). Regarding the output
> they are "more" correct than before after some new lines but i. e. ansari
> is something that's needs more work. Thomas would such a change be a bug
> fix or a new feature? Please test them with the examples from the help or
> own examples and than with "incorrect" data. In case you think it's a bug
> please fix it or so. Hope you see what I mean.

well, I think we have two issues here: First is that ansari.test is terribly
picky about certain circumstances. For instance it will fail, if there are
ties AND and an exact p value is computes AND the confidence interval is
computed. Pretty impossible to guard against this, I'd say.

The second issue is how to display the error messages. I agree it's not pretty
right now, but at least the error does get shown (in a dialog). I'd rather
not change this in the plugin, right now. We will need to work some on error
handling after 0.4.7, anyway, see my mail "Usage of try() statements" a while
ago. By now, I think solutions 1b and 2c are the way to go (but still
interested in your comments), where warnings during execution of a plugin
command will be redirected to the output, automatically.

So anything we add in the plugin, now, would be just a temporary hack to make
error display slightly prettier, and would need to be removed later on.
Hence, I don't think it's something to change for 0.4.7.

P.S.: I moved the "paired" parameter to the variables tab instead of the
options tab. I feel it's a very basic option, and should be on the first tab.