[RkWard-devel] Mailing list(s)

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Mar 29 15:47:31 UTC 2007

On Thursday 29 March 2007 17:02, Stefan Roediger wrote:
> Having such a list would certainly be nice though spam wasn't bothering me
> to much. But I don't think that I have the time for frequent moderation but
> on a rare random base in future (therefore not a real Yes and not a real No
> for moderation).
> Do you really think there are so many users which would need such a list
> (besides the spam)? I'm not entirely sure if work should be put into this.

Well, your guess is as good as mine, really, but here's a bit more elaboration
on the reasons for my proposal:

1) It might be a psychological thing, a hesitation to ask user questions on a
list called "devel". But I can't really judge whether this is an issue.
2a) In the past few months rkward-devel has grown to a considerable volume. A
users list would - initially - be much lower volume, so might be nice for
those who are interested in the most important news, but not every little
detail of development. In the long run, a users' list might actually have a
higher volume than devel, but then we can always add something
like "rkward-announce", if/when the need arises.
2b) We did have around half a dozen unsubscribes during the past two or three
months. There could be many reasons for those unsubscribes, but it's a least
temporally related to 2a.

About spam and moderation: Well, this is optional, but I did get a bit annoyed
with the recent level of spam on the list (particularily the portion that
successfully bypassed sourceforge's and my mail provider's filter is
annoying). We could almost entirely get rid of this, if we could filter out
all mails with a .gif attachment, but it seems the list management software
only allows to strip off the attachment, not discard the entire mail... So
that's why I proposed to use moderation. I don't think a lot of moderation
would be needed, but there'd still need to be at least two or three
volunteers for this in total, to make sure moderation latency does not become
too long.

Well, so how about some of those that are subscribed but usually just read and
not post: Would you like to have a users' list?