[RkWard-devel] Time, development speed

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Mar 1 16:49:53 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I meant to write this mail some weeks ago, already, but it's just one of the
things I never got around to do. The short version is: I won't be able to
afford as much time to RKWard as during January and February. That's not all
that much of a problem with four active developers working, but it means I'll
have to reduce some of my workload, so I will have enough time to do the work
that is needed on the C++ side. Some suggestions on this follow:

Development speed / stabilization:
A whole bunch of plugins have come in at a rather neck-breaking pace,
recently. This is good, of course, but also I'm a bit concerned about the
speed of development, ATM. My feeling is, that we should try to avoid
creating too many new plugins just yet, and instead put in a phase of
stabilization. That is, I would like to encourage you to focus on getting
your new plugins into a "finished" state, and make sure to get them reviewed.
The idea is to get most current plugins out of the "under_development" state
before creating too many new ones, so as to stay closer to a "releasable"
state (I don't think a release is particularly close at this point of time,
but we'll have to worry about that eventually).

Specific suggestions:
1) Please place all your under_development plugins into
http://rkward.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?title=Development_Status_of_Plugins .
On this page, please indicate, whether you consider the plugin to
be "finished", or whether you are still working on it. It may be a boring
task, but I think the coordination overhead is well invested.

2) Please try to review some of the other plugins in under_development. I know
it's not as much fun as writing new plugins, but actually, it's quite
instructional to see how other are approach common problems in plugin
writing. Also, my personal experience shows, it's much easier to spot
problems in somebody else's plugin than in your own. Try to do a thorough
review of two or three plugins, and provide feedback on the list. Don't be
afraid of nitpicking, we need this to get good quality. Don't take the
feedback you get personal (even if it is nitpicky). Making all sorts of
mistakes is a normal part of the development process.

3) These are no strict rules, and of course, if you are close to finishing
another plugins or two, it may be a good idea to focus on that, first,
instead. However, keep in mind, that when creating several plugins of a
similar kind, it may be a good idea to get some few of them reviewed, first,
before copying the "bugs" to many further plugins. So concentrating on
review, first, may actually save you some work, later.

Well, I hope I'm not taking away too much fun with this mail, and of course
feel free to disagree / discuss this. This is just my feeling about our
current development speed.