[RkWard-devel] Barplot plugin

SJR stefan_roediger at gmx.de
Wed Jan 24 23:55:05 UTC 2007

Am Mittwoch, 24. Januar 2007 16:35 schrieb I. Soumpasis:
> Hi!
>
> I tried today and made a plugin to produce barplots. It can handle a matrix
> or a factor (using the summary function). It can create a legend and use
> rainbow colors. It can produce stacked or juxtaposed bars. It really gave
> me a hard time, but I learned a lot. I also wrote the help page for the
> plugin.
>
> I will uploaded at svn in some minutes. Also changed the plot.pluginmap
> accordingly.What else should I change so the plugin to be installed?
> Makefile or something?
>
> I made enough testings but please take a look and give advices and ideas.
>
> Regards,
> Ilias

The only suggestion I have is to use barplot2 from the gplots-package instead.
It is similar but in many ways more powerfull (confidence intervals e.g.).
http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques/RGraphGallery.php?graph=54
http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques/graphcode.php?graph=54

But this would require (as you already know from your other plugins) to load
the package from the web which also a disadvantage. Somehow good, somehow bad
therefore it's your decision of course.

@ Thomas
Right now there are quite a lot plugins which do the require(something) trick.
We have spoken about this issue in the past (I think). I suggested something
like a "First Run Wizard" which asks the user to check if there are plugins
which require non-locally stored packages and subsequently starts the
(existing) procedure to install them. Actually there is no need for a wizard
but an option in settings would also be good in therms of useability. I'm
saying this because it can happen that people on a company workplace or
students on Uni-PCs have to work with RKWard but with no root privileges
which would make installation of packages "hard". It could be frustrating if
somebody can not use this or that because a package is not installed. And I
guess administrators could get annoyed if this happens frequently on many
machines. Hope you know what I mean. Someting for the ToDo-list?