[RkWard-devel] RKWard 0.4.5pre1, 0.4.5 release process

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Jan 11 16:43:24 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 09 January 2007 19:35, SJR wrote:
> I tried it before reading your mail and unfortunately I don't consent here.
> It was confusing for me (as a normal user)  that both functions which
> belong somehow together are separated this way. I had to search for a while
> till I found it (because I knew it must be somewhere). I would rather
> prefere both in View or even to have two buttons side by side. I frequently
> made use of both when I played with data and charts (e.g. those copied from
> the graphics device).

Hm, but refresh is not really an "Edit" action, and flush is not really
a "View" action. Anyway, I added toolbar icons for both actions (since this
does not change any translatable strings, and is an easy change, I'll merge
it into 0.4.5, too). Another good think would be a context menu for the
output, but that would introduce new strings and other complications, so we
should wait for the next release, here.
Do you think with the addition of the toolbar items (another make install is
needed to see them) this is ok to keep for 0.4.5? Or do you think it's still
an issue needing fixing?

> BTW, what is the reason for having "Configure Pakages" in Workspace besides
> Settings?

Actually, I don't remember. I've stumbled across this before, but could not
make up my mind, which one to keep, and which one to throw away. Opinions?

> A) One little thing, which is not really is a bug, happens when a chart
> with a huge amount of data is created (sth. above 1000000) and I get
> "impatient" and close the plot plug-ins while the chart is created. My
> question: If the interface for the plug-in is closed is then the started
> task in R/RKWard totally canceled/killed too? I did it several times and
> sometimes RKWard hang sometimes not.

No, nothing is cancelled, when you close the plugin. Maybe, what we need would
be some detection of commands that run very long, and then offer an
opportunity to kill them after 20 seconds have passed, or so.

> B) Moreover Histogram complains when integer number is chosen:

Indeed. Should be fixed, now.

Regards
thomas