[RkWard-devel] RKWard 0.4.5pre1, 0.4.5 release process

I. Soumpasis nono.231 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 15:37:16 UTC 2007

2007/1/9, Thomas Friedrichsmeier <thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
>:
> Hi!
>
> Since there are only two of us actively committing to SVN at the moment,
and
> we both have our feature changes in, I rushed the feature freeze, and
started
> the release process for 0.4.5. More on the details of that below.
>
> First, however, I'd like to announce a preview release of 0.4.5:
> http://rkward.sourceforge.net/temp/rkward-0.4.5pre1.tar.gz
>
> Major changes in this release include:
> - many new plugins
> - rework of the code generated by most plugins
> - added help system (with only some few pages, so far)
> - several small fixes and improvements as seen in the ChangeLog at the end
of
> this mail.
>
> One change in particular I'd like to get your feedback on (if you don't
like
> it, it's not too late to remove it from the release, yet):
> The "Edit", "View", and "Run" menus, as well as the "Run" toolbar are now
> always shown, regardless of which part/window is currently active.
> The "Output" menu was removed entirely ("Flush Output" was moved to Edit,
> and "Refresh Output" was move to View).
> The idea behind these changes is, that now the menus will no longer "jump
> around" whenever you switch, e.g. between a help window and an editor
window.
> The contents of the menus will still change, but the position remains
fixed.
> Does this seem like a good idea, or do you think it causes more harm than
> good?

I find it good. However I would suppose the contents of the menus to be
stable.

> Of course besides this, please do some testing on the preview release, so
we
> can fix the most serious bugs before the official release.

Today I played a little with correlation matrix plugin and I found some
different results than the ones waiting. Seeing the code I saw that there is
the use of the "pairwise.complete.obs" which means that the correlation
between each pair of variables is computed using all complete pairs of
observations on those variables. I have a dataset where na values must not
be excluded, but replaced with zero which I have done using impute of Hmisc
package.

Now to come to the suggestion. Sould the user be warned about this? Or can
the user choose what to do with the na values?

I also would like to suggest for the future another method for correlation
which gives the probabilities too. There are two functions doing this in two
different packages in my knowledge.
The one is rcorr from Hmisc and the other one is rcor.test from package ltm.
However none of them has a good output using rk.print(), or rk.results().