[RkWard-devel] Plotting options

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Feb 28 17:55:04 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 28 February 2007 18:27, I. Soumpasis wrote:
> Today I was "playing" with some old data, to do some time series analysis
> and I saw some Minitab graphs and compared with that to R. So I came to an
> idea about plotting. Should we change the default plotting options in
> RKWard so to be a little bit more "elegant"?

I kind of like the idea, but I think it would quickly get pretty messy, trying
to solve this in RKWard. This really seems like something that should be
added in R itself. Something like an
	options ("default.par")
Where you could specify a list of those elements of par() that you want to use
a different default, for. Somewhat similar to options ("par.ask.default"),
except more general. Example:
	options (default.par=list(bg="light gray", las=2, fg="black", pch=19))
In a second step, we could add a GUI to set those defaults in RKWard.

I suggest posting to r-help about this first, to see, if there isn't some
solution already hidden somewhere, and later to submit a wish, if there
really is none.

> Here is an  example I used and I liked it
> par(bg="light gray", las=2, fg="black", pch=19)

Well, and the problem is that I don't really like this ;-). Or rather, more
generally speaking, it is probably unlikely that we can find a default that
is good for all. So the default would need to be configurable in some way.
Therefore hard-coding it in the plot_options plugin, or whereever else is
going to be difficult.

One thing that we could do some day (but not something too easy to implement),
would be a generalization of the idea of having selectable "default settings"
in plugins. Then we could also give the user a possibility to create an own
set of defaults for a specific plugin, so at least inside that plugin, the
options would already be set as desired. But that's only a partial solution,
and not for the short term, either.