[RkWard-devel] colors

Stefan Roediger stefan_roediger at gmx.de
Wed Feb 14 19:40:11 UTC 2007

Hi,
I was thinking about the "chose color" issue. I think the current solution is
good and actually I see no real good reason to put more effort into this. Let
me explain. RKWard is aimed to be a scientific tool (also for inexperienced
users). As a user I would expect a certain number of colors which are:

* easy to see (important for presentations)
* easy to distinguish
* common (black, read, green, blue are such) to be found in publications,
reports and so on

and  which reduce the load of unnecessary eyecandy that might draw attention
away from the data.

Keeping that in mind would limit the need for a sophisticated color selection
module. Moreover I took me about 10 minutes to add circa 70 colors as a
dropdown list and I bet it wouldn't take much to add the remaining 600
something. The bad part of this is that the plot options file might be less
nice to read but hey every developer can see "nothing important is happening
here in the code so lets skip it". Therefore I wonder are there real good
reasons not to keep it as dropdown list?

Another question related to this is how to handle color, linetypes, symbols
and so on for multiple data series. Wouldn't dropdown list be a good
solution?