[RkWard-devel] including R expression...

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Feb 6 00:40:20 UTC 2007

On Monday 05 February 2007 23:18, Prasenjit Kapat wrote:
>  I would like to suggest (I had mentioned this in an earlier mail too) the
> following modification to the "interpret as R expression" in
> plot_options.php. Consider the 'main' title example. Current code is:

[...]

> This will keep the consistency of the usage of the word "expression" and
> more importantly will implement "?plotmath" features seemlessly.

You're absolutely right that we're currently mis-using the word "expression".
However, I think the current behavior is not entirely wrong, either. Maybe it
should be called "interpret as R statement", instead.

There are actually three different things, a user could want to
1) uust enter some literal string (like currently, when the box is unchecked)
2) directly input an R statement (which could also be "expression (x*y)")
3) Enter only the "x*y" part of 2), and still have it interpreted as an
expression.

I think, we should definitely keep 1. What'd we'd need to decide is, whether
in addition to that, we want to have 2, or 3, or both (and if we want to keep
2, we'd rename it to something less confusing).