[RkWard-devel] plot.function and curve..

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Feb 2 16:43:51 UTC 2007

On Friday 02 February 2007 16:42, Prasenjit Kapat wrote:
> This is what I have been thinking for a while now. plot(function(x)(..))
> calls plot.function which in turn calls cureve() so why not use curve()? I
> have tried this on two plugins here in my plugin directory, and seems to
> work fine. If there is no objection, then I will change to curve() over the
> weekend. Let me know.

Oh, yes, that's a real simple and clean solution, indeed. Wonder why this
never occurred to me...

> One other thing, like getRK_val() is there any setRK_val to set the value
> of a certain GUI object from the php code, bay be during the preprocess
> stage?

No, there isn't. This would be possible to add. However the drawback will be
that this will not become effective immediately, as the PHP-template is
evaluated in a separate process. Probably not noticeable in most real world
cases, but that's one reason why I never looked into that approach, much (*).
Also, I'd probably have to check some recursion issues, so not something to
add before 0.4.6.

What did you have in mind, specifically?

(*) Another is that one of those things I've always wanted to do, but never
had the patience to figure out, is to allow truely scripted plugins for those
cases where more flexibility is needed than the XML/PHP approach has to
offer. One such example would be the plot_options plugin, which is more and
more turning into a monstrum of <convert>s and <connect>s, where the
underlying logic is simple enough. Another example would be widgets like a
color choser, and date choser, etc. which are all a bit too specialized to
implement additional XML tags for them.

Well, some wanna-haves for such a scripting solutions would be
1) Should live in the same thread as the GUI or be easily synchronized with
the GUI
2) Should allow several interpreter instances at once, so seveal such plugins
can run at once (e.g. embedded into each other)
3) Should come with a well-maintained binding to Qt/KDE libs
4) Should be easy to integrate right into a GUI (once again, important for
embedding)
5) Should be easy to bind to some select portions of the RKWard API (most
importantly component properties, and some aspects of R objects)
6) Should not introduce new heavy dependencies, making installation of RKWard
harder, or the requirements larger
7) Should not be an esoteric or complex language that nobody knows

Currently I have an eye on KJSEmbed (yes, I know, javascript is not much of a
loved language, but it comes pre-installed/loaded with kdelibs, and seems to
offer many of these features), but I haven't evaluated this in depth, and
KJSEmbed could do with some better documentation.