[rkward-devel] R backend requests information...?

Prasenjit Kapat kapatp at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 20:51:49 UTC 2007

Hi,

Last night I upgraded by system on Debian/Sid which took me to R 2.5.0 beta. I
was getting the following message, so I updated the working copy of rkward
and did
	make -f Makefile.svn && make && sudo make install
But I still get the following message, when I start rkward, I get a dialog box
saying..

R backend requests information
Selection:
<input box>
<OK> <Cancel>

Well, I started rkward with --debug-level 5 and get the following output in
konsole along with the above dialog box:

[snip]
output '
Attaching package: 'rkward'

 *** caught segfault ***
address 0xc, cause 'memory not mapped'

Traceback:
 1: doWithOneRestart(return(expr), restart)
 2: withOneRestart(expr, restarts[[1]])
 3: withRestarts({    signalCondition(cond)    defaultHandler(cond)},
muffleMessage = function() NULL)
 4: message(.packageStartupMessage(msg, call))
 5: packageStartupMessage(paste("\n\tThe following object(s) are masked",
if (i < lib.pos) "_by_" else "from", sp[i], ":\n\n\t", paste(same,
collapse = ",\n\t "), "\n"))
 6: checkConflicts(package, pkgname, pkgpath, nogenerics)
 7: library("rkward")

Possible actions:
1: abort (with core dump)
2: normal R exit
3: exit R without saving workspace
4: exit R saving workspace
'
Trace: rinterface.cpp - function customEvent line 136
Trace: rinterface.cpp - function processRCallbackRequest line 373
Trace: rkreadlinedialog.cpp - function readLine line 75
Trace: rkreadlinedialog.cpp - function RKReadLineDialog line 36
Trace: rcommand.cpp - function fullOutput line 149

[snip]

Ok so I guess the "requested" information is one of 1/2/3/4 actions. Trying
2/3/4 brings back to the same dialog box. With 2, I get the following message
box:

The R engine has shut down with status: 0
It will be shut down immediately. This means, you can not use any more
functions that rely on the R backend. I.e. you can do hardly anything at all,
not even save the workspace. Hopefully, however, R has already saved the
workspace. What you can do, however, is save any open command-files, the
output, or copy data out of open data editors. Quit RKWard after that.
Since this should never happen, please write a mail to
rkward-devel at lists.sourceforge.net, and tell us, what you were trying to do,
when this happened. Sorry!

But, on clicking OK, I get back to the "selection:" dialog box. Only the
choice of "1" (abort action) gets me out of this loop.

Starting R normally from konsole works fine.
Solution?

Thanks
PK