[RkWard-devel] Workspace

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Nov 20 20:48:52 UTC 2006

Hi Ralf,

On Friday 17 November 2006 14:43, Ralf Tautenhahn wrote:
> Enough praise ;)

always pleasant to hear!

> I'd like to mention two things  concerning 'load/save workspace'.
>
> - when a workspace is (re) opened, all the editor windows which were
> saved are also (re) openend,
>  even if they are already open.

Indeed.

> - for me (I'm using rkward 'only' as a R-IDE), it would make more sense,
> to save the opened editors windows
>   independently from the R-workspace (variables). My workspace often has
> more than 500 MB (saving this takes quite a while ..)
>   so I rarely save the workspace - but  I would really appreciate to
> have all the editor windos reopened when an new
>   session is started.

Hmm. I've thought a while about how to do this best. I think the current
solution is probably a nice thing for most users, esp. since it means you
could save different workplaces for different workspaces.

The best idea I could come up with, is to make this configurable, with the
- Do not save / restore workplace
- Save workplace in the R workspace, and restore when loading workspace
- Save / restore workplace when starting / quitting rkward

Any better ideas?