[RkWard-devel] Command log / Console

Pierre ECOCHARD pierre.ecochard at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 12:41:18 UTC 2006

Hi Thomas,

It's a big usability issue indeed, in my opinion.

I understand that it can be confusing for the user not to see the commands
s/he entered with the script editor in the console. This behavior (the
current behavior) is unlike any other GUI I know.

However, I think that it is even more confusing to see in the console
commands you did NOT enter in any way, ie commands ran by RKWard itself or
by plugins. On the other hand, it's sometimes useful to be able to watch
commands sent by RKWard. The way I see it, the command log and the console
serve different purposes, and are useful for different kind of users.

A middle-of-the-road idea could be to show commands sent by the script
editor in the console. Thus, the console would show all commands sent by the
user, and only these. The command log could in this case be hidden except if
you actually ask for it.

I think that secondary consoles, while nice for advanced users, would be a
usability nightmare for others. If you go ahead with your original idea, a
better option could be to have a "show only user-commited commands" checkbox
in the new console.

br,
Pierre

2006/11/3, Thomas Friedrichsmeier <thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de