[RkWard-devel] Images in dialogues

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sun May 21 14:16:23 UTC 2006

Hi Stefan,

sorry for the long delay.

> recently I had a few private talks to Thomas. To keep in touch with you
> too, I want to share my ideas here.

From the programming point of view, your idea really breaks down into four
rather separate parts:

1) Embedding static image-files (.png/.jpg, etc.) in a plugin's GUI to
visualize some options. Should be very easy to do, and I intend to tackle
this soon. Using the <logic>-section it will also be possible to switch
images according to GUI settings, but images will be passive, in that they do
not react to clicks, etc.
2) Something like an image-based radio-control. E.g. you have three different
images on the left, each visualizing a different distribution (or whatever).
On the right there is a short text describing each option. To select an
option, click on the image, the choice will be shown by a border around the
image. Will be integrated with the current <radio>-elements, as that is what
it is functionally. Pretty straightforward in principle, but as far as I can
tell, not supported by Qt out of the box (but maybe I'll have to look
harder), therefore needs more work to implement.
3) Real preview of R graphs. I've tried this once, but did not succeed on the
way I had chosen. Alternative approaches are possible, but have not been
tried, yet. Definitely something to have in the long run, but not quite easy
to do. Probably not coming very soon.
4) The color-choser widget. I think the way to go for this sort of
functionality is to create embeddable plugins in pyQt (or something else).
With rkward 0.3.5 we've gone some more way towards making this sort of plugin
possible, but more work is needed. Not coming very soon, either, but also
something that is definitely on the list for the future.

So the bottom line is: Those are all sensible suggestions, and eventually we
should support all of them. Don't expect anything other than 1) in the short
term, however. (If someone would like to work on 3) or 4), I already have
some thoughts on these, which I could share with you, but which I have not
written down in an itellegible way so far; just contact me, if you're
interested).