[RkWard-devel] distribution plugin

Stefan Rödiger stefan_roediger at gmx.de
Tue Mar 14 09:53:09 UTC 2006

Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:
> Hi again,
>

>> I hope to complete all within the next weeks. Moreover some names might
>> be misleading. I'm open for suggestions.
>>

> ok, I've re-organized the file-structure to be more flat. Eventually I plan to
> reorganize all rkward-plugins this way. The reason I never did, so far, was
> that it's pretty hard to remove directories in CVS. So I delayed that step
> until after we switch over to subversion (which I think we'll do soon after
> the next release).

I guess you know what my idea was to give each plug-in a single folder.
It was only a matter of readability. Moreover, new programmer would
likely get more into it because they would immediately see what is
important and it's more easy to reject non-working parts. That was the
whole behind "my structure".
> Then I've submitted those to CVS. A few files were not used anywhere, so I
> omitted those.
I did a clean-up before sending them away. Maybe I have ignored them.
>  In each of the distribution-plots, I also found a typo
> "lenght" instead of "length", which I've corrected (yes, it's "length", but
> "height" - pretty easy to get confused).

I wasn't aware of this. Good to know.
> I suggest you check out the CVS-version (does not currently compile, but
> you'll only want the plugins for now) to see what exactly it looks like, now.
> Also, please send me you SF username, so I can give you developer access to
> CVS. That way, in the future, you can put your work there yourself.

I'll do so as soon as possible. Regarding to SF username should I send
you a private mail?
> I have not looked at everything, yet, and not in detail at that. Again,
> overall it looks really good. I've already found some small bugs, here and
> there, but then you said you are not finished, yet. Should I send you mail on
> bugs I find, already, or should I rather wait before I look all too closely?

Of course I'll have a look myself but any comment or "bug report" from
you is highly appreciated. (Also from the others). What do you think
about the interface (maybe I should have a look at the gnome "human
interface guidelines" :) )?
Interface is a good point. I was wondering if we should write something
like a wrapper for charting? As we all know is charting (accept with
error bars) a strength of R. Anyway, there are to many arguments for
charts but these are repeated frequently and this might be a starting
point. I came up with this idea when I was trying to write the
distribution plug-ins. A wrapper would just be the normal triplet
plugins.pluginmap, code and description but without any functionality.
> Great work!

You are welcome. But the hard job is still done by you.
> Regards
> Thomas

Cheers
Stefan.