[RkWard-devel] plugin input field

Stefan Rödiger stefan_roediger at gmx.de
Mon Feb 27 22:51:13 UTC 2006

Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:
>> To sum it up. A "simple" field to enter some text is not easy. Using a
>> varslot would be the way to go if I want to use more than one value.
>> This are bad news. @Thomas. To explain what I want just start Rcmdr and
>> try the distributions (probabilities) and you will see what I mean. My
>> way allows only one value (done by spinboxes).
>>

> Ok, I see. However, I'm not quite sure, how to approach this best (any ideas
> are welcome!). To list some of what this field should do:
>
> 1) Allow user to enter one or more numeric values directly, separated by
> spaces or commas
> 2) Allow user to mix in named objects
> 3) Allow user to select such named object?
> 4) Allow user to use R syntax?
>
> 3 and 4 are not supported in Rcmdr, and probably in this use case you would
> not really need them anyway. The reason I'm listing them, is that I'm not
> sure whether there might be some different use cases, where you'd want more
> flexibility.
> Anyway. A clone of what Rcmdr seems to be doing could be achieved by doing
> this:
> - Use an <input>-element
> - in the PHP code do the following:
>
> <?
> $r_string = "c (" . preg_replace ("/[, ]+/", ", ", getRK_val ("probs")) . ")";
>
> echo ("myfunc (" . $r_string . ")");
> ?>
>
> Of course, if similar functionality is needed in more places besides the
> distributions, it would make sense to add easier support for this in rkward.
> Do you think there are other such places?

Thanks. I'll check it. I asked for an input field and the answer is
<input> + php ... . Funny. :)

I don't know of other such places right now where it might be needed.
But most thinks come up (at least in my case) while doing.

>> About the package issue do I need to fill it in wish-list or will you
>> keep it in mind?
>>

> Most likely I will remember. If not, feel free to remind me. Filing a wishlist
> request is just one of several possibilities, but certainly one that makes
> sure the wish will be remembered one day or another automatically.

Here is my next which. Syntax Highlighting ;). Some minutes ago a friend
showed me what he had learned in a "SPSS lecture". Forget the
background. Important is that I was surprised that SPSS doesn't have
syntax highlighting. I would love to see such a functionality as an
embedded feature in RKWard. You will know of this web-page
"http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/projects/Editors.html". Isn't there
anything useful for RKWard?
>> I'll will sent the plug-ins within the next one and a half week to you.
>> Since my work is still for from professional I need some time to fix.
>> The plotting of the distributions is not yet implemented and as
>> mentioned only one value is given as output (unfortunately). Moreover
>> all is still simple in comparison to the existing plug-ins. Using if
>> then else constructions is still "to advanced" for me (I make to many
>> mistakes).
>> And I need to test them before I sent them away. Some of the "code" was
>> done by real dirty copy and paste from a similar plug-in. I added some
>> further screens hots to show how simple all is.
>>

> Ok, of course I don't want to push you. But just to be clear: There's
> absolutely no need to get everything perfect and complete on the first
> attempt.
>
> Regards
> Thomas

I don't feel like pushed and I know myself that not everything need to
be perfect. I just want to reach a certain level. Obviously you just
offered your aid. So please don't understand my answer wrong. We are all
working on a similar goal (I'm sure about this).

@Pierre

I was surprised to see that you worked before on Kstat. Why did this
project never start?