[RkWard-devel] Feature Request: auto completion

Pierre Ecochard pierre.ecochard at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 20:00:18 UTC 2006

Hi Stefan,

> I hope I haven't overseen something but I didn't find auto completion
> neither in R itself (is there one?) nor in any GUI.

I believe you could find some kind of autocompletion in ESS (Emacs Speaks
Statistics, ess.r-project.org/). But granted, ESS is not really a GUI.
Sciviews also comes to mind: www.sciviews.org (not sure about sciviews: my box
doesn't run windows).

> Is there a way to
> add a auto-completion as seen in any Linux/Unix console Kate or
> Openoffice.org in the RKWard-console and RKWard-"script window"?

Actually the kate-part we are currently using comes with hooks that make
autocompletion possible
(http://www.englishbreakfastnetwork.org/apidocs/apidox-kde-4.0/kdelibs-apidocs/interfaces/ktexteditor/html/classKTextEditor_1_1CodeCompletionInterface.html).
You can see those in action in kdevelop, for instance. I think that for now it
would be sufficient for RKWard.

> Therefore a "database" of frequently
> used commands could be created by anyone (developers, users). I thinks
> this improves RKWard as GUI enormously and makes writing faster. Maybe
> you have more sophisticated methods in mind.

We could make R generate valid function names on the fly, based on the current
workspace.

Autocompletion would probably not be too difficult to implement. And I agree
it would be great. I'll take a look at it if I find some time.

br,
Pierre