[RkWard-devel] Re: RKWard-devel digest, Vol 1 #121 - 4 msgs

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Nov 8 13:25:20 UTC 2005

Hi Kapat,

> Yes! that works. the entry that I removed was
> plugins/standard_plugins.pluginmap Then, I did as you said, and it fired up
> without error and the entry that now exists is
> /usr/share/apps/rkward/standard_plugins.pluginmap. Thanks!

Good. So I'll just have to write a release note about this.

> I had a few suggestions:
> 1. Specify a "*" (or some other means of notifying) when an opened
> file is modified, and remove it as soon as its saved. This I guess is
> a standard feature in all the editors.
> 2. When a new file (script/data/..) is opened, the window tab shows
> "Unnamed", which is perfectly fine. But when it is "Saved As", say
> file.R, the tab title still shows "Unnamed" which should chagne to the
> name of the file, in this case "file.R"

Yes, both should be done. I'll put it on the TODO list (so likely it will be
in rkward 0.3.5). Thanks for pointing it out.

> Now a question. Does the help interface require html files? The reason
> I ask this is, I did not have many of the htmls files. When I used
> "?rnorm" at the RConsole, rkward crashed. But once I installed all the
> html help files, it worked fine!

Of course any crash is a bug. This one was due to a pretty obscure issue, that
might have caused some other crashes in rare cases besides this one. I've
commited a workaround to CVS, and the official release should not crash in
this case.
Still, in fact, the help interface requires html files to function properly.
The basic mechanism is to set option (htmlhelp=TRUE), and use rkward as the
default browser. Probably, in the future it would be nice to handle other
help formats as well, but at least the crash is fixed.

> I'll try to keep my comments flowing. I hope they will be of some
> help. I once again, appreciate all efforts being put behind this
> project. Keep it going.

Yes, please tell us about everything you find. I was completely unaware of all
of these issues, so your comments are helpful indeed!

Thanks!