[RkWard-devel] RKSpinBox

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Aug 31 11:45:03 UTC 2004

Hi,

> I've used RKward a bit more, so more questions coming :-)
> 1. in the TODO file you write about various issues, what's wrong with the
> spinbox?

Well, it's not really a high priority item. The problem is that RKSpinBox or
the QSpinBox it's based on, internally works with integer values only. In
order to represent decimals, you basically just put a decimal point into the
integer number. This works just fine unless you want to be able to represent
a huge number range like from 10^-20 ... 10^20. For ranges such like this
you'd really need a floating point representation. Using the current
solution, you have a fixed number of decimals and simply can't represent such
a range.
The current RKSpinBox should be good enough for most everyday scenarios,
however.

> 2.  UI-wise, there are now 4 windows open at the same time (objects,
> output, watch, main). Do you intend to keep it that way, or have you
> considered the possibility of embedding some of these windows (be tabs or a
> la Kdevelop)?

Yes, I have something like that in mind, but I don't know exactly what, so
far. Most importantly, however, it should be configurable and the user should
be able to easily dock/undock windows.
Code-wise I've started taking care of this by deriving all those windows from
QWidget (which can be either top-level windows or embedded) instead of
QDialog et al. (which can only ever be top-level windows). But that's all
I've done in that direction so far.

> 3. I've tried to check out the rkward module from the CVS tree (usually a
> good idea when trying to hack on something), but the source I get won't
> build since there are a couple of files missing (rkeditormanager.h for
> example). This file is there in 0.26a. Any idea?Is there are  a special
> branch or tag I should have asked for?

No, I simply forgot to add those files to CVS, and nobody seems to have noted
until now. I've just added rkeditormanager.h and rkeditormanager.cpp. If more
files are missing, just drop me a note.