[RkWard-devel] RKWard 0.2.6 /bug?

David Sibai lordofthemoose at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Aug 30 07:02:43 UTC 2004

Hi,
> Well, as usual, I'd be happy, if you could try out the new release and
> provide feedback. Happy testing.
I just tried the new release and, well, it's beginning to look good!

A couple of things:
1. The editor doesn't work for me, when creating a new table (be it with the
wizard or with the menu). When I add in some values, they just never get
transferred to R, ie the tables in the R process do not get updated.

Upon starting, it says that it can't find "my.data":

---------------------------
Issuing command:
names (my.data)
---------------------------
Got reply:
Error in names(my.data) : Object "my.data" not found

If I try it manually at a later time, it works.

I've had a look at the code, and here is what I've understood:
In rkward.cpp, we've got this when a new dataframe is created:

 RObject *object = RKGlobals::rObjectList ()->createNewChild (name, true,
true);
 RKEditor *editor = RKGlobals::editorManager ()->editObject (object);
 editor->syncToR (0);

a new RKeditor object is created, which tries to open an R Object. This
RKeditor object tries to get the list of variables names and fails, which
results in internal variables not being set properly (col_map in
rkeditordataframe.cpp has size 0 instead of number_of_variables which is I
supposed to be the length of names(my.data)). It fails because R can't find
the dataframe hence the error message, and R can't find the dataframe because
it is not created until editor->syncToR(0).
problem: you cannot sync before opening the object and cannot open it properly
before it is synced and created... Am I completely out of my mind, or is that
right? I am not familiar at all with the code, but I'll try to understand
better what's happening. Hope this helps, though.

I know I'm asking lots of (stupid) things, but I'm trying to understand what's
happening. I will even document the class if I'm right;-)

2. Small typo in the R-object list "Udpate" =>"Update"

David